Voices: Palmer's Planning Corner
Palmer’s Planning Corner is a monthly column exploring the productivity piece of maintenance. Planning and scheduling allows a plant to complete extra proactive work even when it has its hands full with reactive work. Plant Services Contributing Editor Doc Palmer explains different principles and issues each month to make successful what should be a rewarding endeavor for maintenance.
The most popular KPI for maintenance planning, Plan vs. Actual, is a counterproductive KPI. It usually worsens planning performance (and consequently plant performance).Read More
More from this author...
- Oct 2, 2019Doc Palmer says don’t get dragged into debates. Here’s the straight talk about planning and scheduling.
- Sep 11, 2019Doc Palmer explores how first-line supervisors play a critical role in making the scheduling process work.
- Jul 2, 2019Doc Palmer says great performance does not maintain itself, so watch out for these common pitfalls.
- Jun 18, 2019Trouble finding the skills your plant needs? Doc Palmer says make better use of the skills your plant has.
- May 1, 2019The cost of each tag – a few pennies to a few dollars – is insignificant compared with the great return a deficiency tag program yields, according to Doc Palmer.
- Apr 2, 2019Here's how to fine-tune your maintenance planning and scheduling, according to Doc Palmer.
- Mar 4, 2019Doc Palmer explores what adds up to a truly great maintenance planning and scheduling program.
- Feb 4, 2019Doc Palmer says a willingness to implement unusual concepts leads to best-practice programs.
- Jan 2, 2019Doc Palmer says everyone needs to get out of the office for a little perspective (and a reality check).
- Nov 7, 2018You’ve got a minute to explain your maintenance planning objectives. Use it wisely, says Doc Palmer.
- Oct 8, 2018Doc Palmer says you can finish 50% more work orders per month with your existing staff.
- Sep 6, 2018Doc Palmer say ensure the storeroom has what you need when you need it with these strategies.
- Aug 1, 2018Doc Palmer says crunch the numbers to figure out how to best optimize inventory levels and costs.
- Jul 2, 2018Doc Palmer says maintenance planners can help rein in the impulse to slash storeroom inventory.
- Jun 11, 2018Doc Palmer says having a schedule to help frame and focus work will let a supervisor steer jobs effectively.
- May 8, 2018Doc Palmer says provide the support and resources your planners need to ensure planning success.
- Apr 9, 2018Doc Palmer explores the skill sets necessary for success in the maintenance planning role.
- Mar 6, 2018Doc Palmer says don’t let reactive work wreck the success of your planning and scheduling program.
- Feb 5, 2018Doc Palmer examines why measuring schedule compliance is a sometimes controversial (but vital) task.
- Jan 23, 2018Doc Palmer explores why daily scheduling during the week is the supervisors’ task, and how to do it right.
- Dec 12, 2017Doc Palmer says weekly scheduling is about goal-setting with 100% schedule loading.
- Nov 7, 2017Doc Palmer wonders if your teams know why the weekly schedule is their ticket to productivity gains.
- Oct 5, 2017What needs to get done when? Doc Palmer helps to ensure that everyone's on the same page.
- Aug 30, 2017Doc Palmer says the two go hand in hand to produce reliability – and profitability – benefits.
- Aug 1, 2017Doc Palmer says there are right and wrong ways (and reasons) to analyze wrench time.
- Jul 10, 2017Doc Palmer says the pursuit of perfection is the enemy of progress when it comes to job planning.
- Jun 5, 2017Trying to be super-accurate with each job estimate? Doc Palmer says that's not how this works.
- May 22, 2017Doc Palmer says planners should err on the side of having specific files for specific devices.
- Mar 31, 2017Doc Palmer says planners need to focus on preventing tomorrow’s fires, not fighting today’s.
- Mar 1, 2017Doc Palmer explains how to be a task ninja to keep your maintenance planners from being overwhelmed.
- Feb 6, 2017Apply these 12 planning and scheduling principles and watch your productivity climb.
- Jan 3, 2017Get your maintenance planning game in gear to boost your plant's profits.