Once problems were identified (see the first part of this case study), the project implementation plan included installing:
- new dryers and mist-eliminating filters;
- three pressure/flow controllers, one backpressure/flow controller and two 30,000-gal air storage tanks;
- new piping and retrofits on existing portions of the piping system;
- a programmable logic control (PLC) compressor automation system; and
- a compressed-air management information system (MIS).
The facility also repaired compressors performing below optimum levels.
Once components were installed and repaired, the plant decided to reconfigure the four systems into one integrated system with three separate sections (high, medium and low pressure) with their own pressure levels.