Top nine articles from 2009
1. 2009 Best Practices Awards
Learn from and download the year’s most highly acclaimed applications.
2. Inlet temperature, outlet pressure and storage
Part 1: Don’t let misapplied rules of thumb become your compressed air rules of dumb.
3. Compressor power is not measured by amps alone
Use kilowatts or characterize the motor curve to determine operating conditions.
4. Compressors in perfect harmony
Details on the controls that make compressors sing.
5. 2009 CMMS/EAM Review: Power up a winner
How to find the right asset management system for your plant.
6. Inside, outside
Contracting strategies for a new economy.
7. Pump purchasing 201
Not-so-common tips you should know before making a pump decision.
8. "Lean" on your maintenance materials
Reengineering the stockroom is a good way to increase wrench time.
9. Natural gas piping pressure testing, purging and equipment restarts
Ten hazards and how to avoid them.
Top nine new stories from 2009
1. Predators prevail in Lima, Ohio
Ronin Air Falconry Service was recently informed by its Husky Energy petroleum refinery client that falconry bird-abatement treatment has nearly eliminated the large facility’s former pest bird infestation.
2. Industrial leaders learn new applications for 3-D technology
A dozen leaders from maintenance and reliability services gathered at Fayetteville Technical Community College (FTCC) to learn how Interactive Three-Dimensional (i3D) technology can be used to keep water flowing, cool air blowing and valves pumping.
3. Engineering tops the list of highest paid jobs for recent grads
According to a new report from the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), engineers earn the best starting salaries.
4. Unsafe work practices in motion
What not to do to promote safe working habits.
5. Infrared camera shows that the chili is hot
Watch as Maintenance Evangelist and Skill TV host Joel Leonard demonstrates how the city of Asheboro, N.C., will be using infrared technology at the Asheboro Chili Cookoff and Hot Head Contest.
6. Best Practices Awards becoming tangible
Winners of at least one category in the next round of Plant Services’ Best Practices Awards will garner even more than the invaluable esteem of their peers.
7. Search ends for oldest working forklift truck
Mitsubishi Forklift Trucks has announced the winners of its “Keeps on Running” contest, a competition that invited customers to show how their Mitsubishi forklift truck has withstood the test of time.
8. Smart grid to support sustainability
A smart grid project will cut energy consumption and minimize CO2 emissions by integrating an entire power grid system — generation, distribution and consumption — into a single, interactive real-time network.
9. Sound strategies shared at UltraSound World V
At a time when almost every country, state, city and company is looking for ways to trim costs, it was refreshing to learn about the real savings made by companies that sent attendees to the UltraSound World V Conference.
Top nine product from 2009
1. FabEnCo’s XL Self-Closing Safety Gate offers more vertical coverage for fall protection
FabEnCo Self-Closing Safety Gates are adjustable swinging gates for fall protection as required by OSHA at unprotected openings on ladders, platforms, stairs, catwalks, mezzanines and machine guarding.
2. LEDtronics' T8/bi-pin LED lighting tubes replace conventional T8 fluorescent tubes
The LED48T8-288-001W bi-pin LED fits into standard G13 bases and is designed to directly replace conventional T8 fluorescent tubes.
3. LEDtronics' PAR30-style LED spotlight bulbs replaces 75-watt halogens and incandescents
The white-body, medium-beam PAR30 LED bulb is made up of five three-watt LEDs and replaces filament-based PAR30 bulbs.
4. Toyota's hybrid concept lift truck shifts automatically between battery and engine mode
The Toyota hybrid concept lift truck combines the best of electric and internal combustion technology, taking advantage of the strengths of each power source.
5. Belt failure poster from Gates helps troubleshoot the cause of drive problems
Use the Belt Diagnosis Poster to diagnose the underlying problems in your drives – whether it’s misalignment, an incorrect belt-to-sheave fit or old metal components.
6. Schneider Electric's Altivar 12 variable-speed drive offers energy efficiency in a compact size
Schneider Electric introduces Altivar 12, a new variable-speed AC drive that delivers flexibility, performance and energy efficiency in a compact, easy-to-use design.
7. SKF's Microlog Analyzer AX features customizable vibration-monitoring technology
SKF's Microlog Analyzer AX, with simultaneous triaxial or four-channel vibration measurement capability, speeds up data collection and saves time in monitoring rounds.
8. Hilti's HIT-HY 150 MAX fast-cure adhesive anchor system meets the latest building codes
Able to fully cure in 30 minutes at 68° F, HIT-HY 150 MAX allows installers to maximize their efficiency.
9. LumaSense Technologies' MikroSHOT thermal imaging camera is pocket-sized for portability
This handy and fully radiometric thermal imager allows for pocket-sized portability with capabilities normally found in larger, more expensive thermal imagers.