Voices: Tactics and Practices
Back-to-basics column on best practices at the ground level, written by Plant Services editors as well as industry contributors.
Companies implementing predictive maintenance (PdM) face a variety of challenges. Though the technical aspects will garner the most attention, human nature plays a strong role in the program’s success. Recent discussions with practitioners and providers shed some light on lessons learned.Read More
More from this author...
- Aug 18, 2015Don't waste a month's worth of data gathering because you missed an easy first step.
- Jul 13, 2015Learn what you need to do to comply with latest NFPA 70E safety labeling rules.
- Jun 19, 2015Under pressure? Absolutely. The increasingly high temperatures and harsh conditions to which gaskets are exposed makes selecting the right gasket all the more important.
- Jun 17, 2015A superior electric motor bearing grease makes inroads in severe applications.
- Mar 8, 2015New energy-efficiency requirements for small electric motors take effect this month. As Baldor Electric's senior industry affairs manager notes, shifting to new-model motors requires some planning.
- Dec 1, 2014When a motor fails, weigh these factors to make the best choice.
- Sep 10, 2014Store, lubricate, mount, and dismount properly for better performance.
- Aug 19, 2014Positive displacement compression vs. dynamic compression.
- May 28, 2014Reduce haze and improve air quality.
- May 23, 2014Steam trap testing is just one of many ways to cut steam energy costs.
- Mar 29, 2014How to determine whether the responsibility for equipment reliability should be in-house or outsourced.
- Feb 21, 2014Should it be part of PdM or supplement it?
- Jan 27, 2014Use condition monitoring to recognize misalignment.
- Dec 23, 2013Mike Bacidore explores the many moods of infrared.
- Oct 18, 2013Monitor to keep your compressed air predictable.
- Jul 10, 2013Set a baseline if you want to improve your compressed air system efficiency.
- Jun 20, 2013Learn how to make your CMMS safe with outsourced workers.
- Jun 6, 2013Assessment and performance testing depend on the control and valve technology.
- Apr 1, 2013Take these first steps to improve profitability, productivity, and safety.
- Mar 22, 2013Begin with an MRO strategy that meets the plant's unique needs.
- Feb 18, 2013Unbalanced rotors can damage bearings.
- Jan 17, 2013How automated should a material-handling operation be?