Voices: Tactics and Practices
Back-to-basics column on best practices at the ground level, written by Plant Services editors as well as industry contributors.
Machines need spare parts. Any business operating significant quantities of machinery will carry of a stock of replacement components. Those parts fulfill a variety of purposes. They are there to replace items such as bearings, seals, and filters that wear out during normal operations, and they need to be ready for planned upgrades and overhaul activities. They act as insurance, allowing maintenance teams to fix breakdowns faster than the lead times required to secure replacements from an external supplier.Read More
More from this author...
- May 17, 2016Be aware of potential power quality problems on both the line and load sides.
- Mar 21, 2016Use this self-assessment tool to rate your facility and spot signs of potential trouble.
- Jan 5, 2016Careful evaluation of motor load requirements could yield long-term savings.
- Nov 5, 2015Make sure your vendors aren't hindering your progress toward proactive maintenance.
- Oct 8, 2015Strategize to overcome these top implementation and execution challenges.
- Aug 18, 2015Don't waste a month's worth of data gathering because you missed an easy first step.
- Jul 13, 2015Learn what you need to do to comply with latest NFPA 70E safety labeling rules.
- Jun 19, 2015Under pressure? Absolutely. The increasingly high temperatures and harsh conditions to which gaskets are exposed makes selecting the right gasket all the more important.
- Jun 17, 2015A superior electric motor bearing grease makes inroads in severe applications.
- Mar 8, 2015New energy-efficiency requirements for small electric motors take effect this month. As Baldor Electric's senior industry affairs manager notes, shifting to new-model motors requires some planning.
- Dec 1, 2014When a motor fails, weigh these factors to make the best choice.
- Sep 10, 2014Store, lubricate, mount, and dismount properly for better performance.
- Aug 19, 2014Positive displacement compression vs. dynamic compression.
- May 28, 2014Reduce haze and improve air quality.
- May 23, 2014Steam trap testing is just one of many ways to cut steam energy costs.
- Mar 29, 2014How to determine whether the responsibility for equipment reliability should be in-house or outsourced.
- Feb 21, 2014Should it be part of PdM or supplement it?
- Jan 27, 2014Use condition monitoring to recognize misalignment.
- Dec 23, 2013Mike Bacidore explores the many moods of infrared.
- Oct 18, 2013Monitor to keep your compressed air predictable.
- Jul 10, 2013Set a baseline if you want to improve your compressed air system efficiency.
- Jun 20, 2013Learn how to make your CMMS safe with outsourced workers.
- Jun 6, 2013Assessment and performance testing depend on the control and valve technology.
- Apr 1, 2013Take these first steps to improve profitability, productivity, and safety.
- Mar 22, 2013Begin with an MRO strategy that meets the plant's unique needs.
- Feb 18, 2013Unbalanced rotors can damage bearings.
- Jan 17, 2013How automated should a material-handling operation be?