Operator training simulators (OTSs) have been around the industry for decades and now represent mature technology. However, because of global trends and competitive pressures, the need to improve the skills, knowledge and behavior of operations staff never has been greater. Five factors are driving more and more manufacturers to invest in these tools:
- Retirement of veteran operators;
- The impact of human error;
- The quest for faster startups;
- Improved OTS effectiveness; and
- A refocus on training objectives.
So, let's look at each of these factors and what's required to successfully address them.