Thordon Bearings introduces non-elastomer thermoplastic bearings
Thordon Bearings Inc. has announced a new proprietary engineered (non-elastomer) thermoplastic bearing for industrial journal bearing applications.
ThorPlas has been formulated to complement the existing range of Thordon elastomer bearing grades and significantly expands the range of applications where Thordon bearings can be specified, while still maintaining many of the recognized Thordon performance benefits.
ThorPlas offers the following advantages:
- Increased strength and rigidity allowing working pressures in an interference fit bearing up to 31MPa (4500 psi)
- Improved ability to operate at elevated temperatures - max. continuous service temperatures of 80°C (175°F) in water and 110°C (230°F) dry
- Improved chemical resistance in all major chemical product categories
- Self lubricating; eliminates grease
- Excellent wear performance in relatively clean environments
- Machines easily, and dust-free, to suit required dimensions
- Installation is quick and easy using freeze fit techniques
Typical applications for ThorPlas include high pressure, relatively non-abrasive, industrial bearings and an obvious replacement for greased bronze bushings. As part of Thordon's StageGate New Product Development program, Thordon has been test marketing ThorPlas since 2003 and has many installations in operation and working successfully such as condensate pumps, grapple finger bearings, wash line floor conveyor bearings, agitator and doctor roller bushings for pulp and paper applications, travelling screens, steady bearings on mining dump trucks, and lift gate sheave bearings.