Toyota announced on Monday that more than 50 employees were injured after two giant explosions last week in the Chinese city of Tianjin, where the carmaker’s factory lines will remain closed until at least the end of Wednesday.
Production at Toyota’s Tianjin subsidiary — including a factory line about 45 miles away that depends on parts from the main operation — was halted because of evacuations from the city, Toyota said.
When the accident happened, Toyota’s operations had been shut for a week’s summer holiday, with production due to restart Sunday, so there was no immediate impact on production from the disaster.
Consumer electronics giant Panasonic said there was minor damage to its plant in the industrial city and that it was halting operations Monday for safety checks.
Massive explosions at a chemical storage facility owned by Ruihai International Logistics killed more than 100 people and injured more than 700, with firefighters still battling the giant blaze that followed. The accident has also raised fears about toxic chemicals poisoning the air, particularly sodium cyanide.