Industrial production shows little or no gain

Source: Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System

Jul 05, 2011

Industrial production edged up 0.1% in May, the second consecutive month with little or no gain. Revisions to total industrial production in months before May were small. In May, manufacturing production rose 0.4% after having fallen 0.5% in April. The output of motor vehicles and parts has been held down in the past two months because of supply chain disruptions following the earthquake in Japan. Excluding motor vehicles and parts, manufacturing output advanced 0.6% in May and edged down 0.1% in April; the decrease in April in part reflected production lost because of tornadoes in the South at the end of the month. Outside of manufacturing, the output of mines increased 0.5% in May, while the output of utilities fell 2.8%. At 93.0% of its 2007 average, total industrial production in May was 3.4% above its year-earlier level. Capacity utilization for total industry was flat at 76.7%, a rate 3.7 percentage points below its average from 1972 to 2010.

View the current industrial production report

Show Comments
Hide Comments

Join the discussion

We welcome your thoughtful comments.
All comments will display your user name.

Want to participate in the discussion?

Register for free

Log in for complete access.

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments