Since 1986, the SME College of Fellows has honored those members who have made outstanding contributions to the social, technological and educational aspects of the profession. This is a highly prestigious honor that can only be earned through years (20 or more) of dedication and service.
An SME College of Fellows nominee/nomination must:
- Be an SME member in good standing who is recognized by the manufacturing community as a contributor to the social, technological and educational aspects of the profession.
- Possess a minimum of a bachelor's degree or its equivalent in engineering experience.
- Have at least 20 years of experience in a manufacturing-related area. Time spent in pursuit of a related academic degree may also be included in the 20-year requirement.
- Be nominated by an Honorary, Fellow, Life or Senior member of SME. Any one of these initiators must submit a completed nomination packet including current data on the nominee's accomplishments, the downloadable nomination form and letters of support/recommendation from sponsors.
- Have two additional sponsors submit letters of recommendation/support detailing why the individual should be elected to the College of Fellows. One of these sponsors must be an Honorary, Fellow, Life or Senior member of SME.
To submit a Fellows nomination:
- Download the nomination form or complete the online form
- Complete the nomination form as thoroughly as possible-be specific about the nominee's accomplishments. No attachments will be considered except lists of publications, patents, honors and awards.
- Determine and collect letters of support from two additional sponsors, one of whom must also be an Honorary, Fellow, Life or Senior member.