Fluke Corporation, the global leader in handheld electronic test and measurement technology, today announced an updated version of its Electrical Measurement Safety interactive video aimed at reducing hazards for people measuring electrical circuits, and helping reduce risk and liability for employers.
Electrical safety compliance training violations were #7 (electrical wiring) and #10 (Electrical, General Requirements) on the 2005 Top 10 List of most frequently cited standards published by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA). OSHA regulations include a six-point plan to minimize potential arc flash danger for personnel that addresses issues such as requirements for safety programs, training and use of appropriate tools for safe working conditions.
Flukes Electrical Measurement Safety video has been revised to incorporate the most recent guidelines from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70E standard for electrical safety in the workplace, which specifically addresses arc flash hazards. Materials also incorporate safety information from American National Standards Institute (ANSI), International Electrotechnical Conference (IEC) and other safety regulators.
Available free of charge on CD (one copy per user) through the Fluke website (www.fluke.com/safety), the Fluke Electrical Measurement Safety video includes:
- Safety Video -- This 25-minute video dramatizes the hazards of electrical measurement and explains the precautions that help defend against the arc flash. Includes the experience of an electrician almost killed by arc flash.
- Test Tool Post-Test This quick test helps electrical professionals determine whether the test tools they are using meet todays safety standards.
- Interview with an Arc Blast Survivor This electrician was lucky. He survived an arc blast and hes back on the job, though his recovery required months of painful skin grafts. Hear what happened, and what he learned.
- Does Your Meter Measure Up? The only way to know for sure is by conducting a safety audit of your test tools and equipment. Heres how.
- Safety Application Notes Each of these brief notes is designed to serve as the basis of a safety meeting discussion or as a chapter in the electrical safety reference library. They cover such topics as 10 Dumb Things Smart People Do When Testing Electricity, ABCs of Electrical Measurement Safety, Differences in Voltage Testers Can Be Shocking, Are Your Test Tools Safety-Ready? and Dont Risk CAT IV Areas Without the Right Leads.
To order the Fluke Electrical Measurement Safety package from the Fluke Corporation website, go to www.fluke.com/safety. The video is also available on DVD for a $20 charge.