Voices: Strategic Maintenance
Strategic Maintenance is a monthly column from Stanton McGroarty CMfgE CMRP, dealing with technical and organizational insights chosen to help asset managers make the most of their technical and financial opportunities. Topics range from global economics to details of asset adjustment and meeting design, all considered in light of the view from the factory.
The manufacturing world is edging back from a great recession. Customers are placing larger orders on production facilities that have endured four or five years of limited maintenance and reduced staffing. The next phase is bound to be a strain on production capacity while manufacturers wait for cash flow to provide the resources needed to catch up with the new demand. The managers who decided to deplete finished inventory and denied requests for maintenance and reliability projects won’t remember any of that “ancient history.” All they will be able to see is that they are finally bringing in orders and the products aren’t going out the door fast enough to satisfy customers who have also driven their own inventories down to starvation levels.Read More
More from this author...
- Apr 7, 2014Stanton McGroarty explores the 3 steps to fix whatever is killing your power.
- Mar 29, 2014Stanton McGroarty says the plan must extend beyond vendor involvement.
- Feb 19, 2014Stanton McGroarty says use VSDs to cut energy and maintenance costs.
- Jan 27, 2014Stanton McGroarty says set the course for reliability and maintenance.
- Jan 6, 2014Stanton McGroarty says it’s time to decide what the reliability department will contribute for 2014.
- Oct 30, 2013Stanton McGroarty says capture critical knowledge at W/O close.
- Oct 11, 2013Stanton McGroarty says conventional accounting points to high-percentage improvements.
- Sep 19, 2013Stanton McGroarty says implement strategic maintenance to ensure a rewarding budget season.
- Aug 13, 2013Stanton McGroarty says save money from what you don't do.
- Jul 17, 2013Stanton McGroarty says most wear results not from the machine doing its production job, but from us not doing our maintenance job.
- Jun 19, 2013Stanton McGroarty says do more with less on the way to precision maintenance.
- May 8, 2013Stanton McGroarty says build on the strengths already in your organization.
- Apr 29, 2013Stanton McGroarty says CMMS isn't the only system with maintenance answers.
- Mar 25, 2013Stanton McGroarty says leaders need technology and statesmanship.
- Feb 14, 2013Stanton McGroarty says partner with vendors that can help to reduce costs.
- Jan 14, 2013Stanton McGroarty says actions must be aligned with objectives to create behavioral change.
- Jan 2, 2013Stanton McGroarty says well-meaning workers can sabotage maintenance efforts.
- Nov 21, 2012Stanton McGroarty says use Plant Services' market intelligence report to help create a solid motor strategy.
- Oct 22, 2012Stanton McGroarty says have a clear work description and a project operating plan for your problem assets.
- Sep 10, 2012Stanton McGroarty says gather a core team and perform RCA for perennial equipment problems.
- Aug 13, 2012Stanton McGroarty says get maintenance workers to use data to drive their work by following these three steps.
- Jul 10, 2012Stanton McGroarty explains why broadcasting maintenance success is good for the company.
- Jun 14, 2012J. Stanton McGroarty says professionals play as if time were money, and they bring the right equipment.
- May 9, 2012J. Stanton McGroarty says system reliability can improve throughput, if production is properly planned.