Voices: Management Measures
Management Measures is a monthly column written by Stanton McGroarty CMfgE CMRP about the measurements that can equip factory asset managers to identify and measure organizational output and progress. Discussions typically include data sources and implementation techniques to help with the practical side of measurement and management.
I just received a Christmas greeting from a friend and colleague in South Africa. It reminded me that he had once given me a file that listed and defined several hundred different KPIs. I was pleased by the gift, but I still haven’t reviewed it. I’ll probably get to it when I retire. Surely there are some great measurements in there, but finding them will be a serious chore. It’s a lot like the stream of data coming from a condition monitoring program. It’s designed to inform predictive maintenance (PdM) users, but first the data must be sifted to find the useful facts. Then the useful part must be translated into actionable information, packaged, and delivered to users. It also helps if the users are trained to interpret it and rewarded for doing so. More information on making data useful is available at www.plantservices.com/articles/2012/09-lift-pdm-data-above-information-din.Read More
More from this author...
- Nov 7, 2013Stanton McGroarty says use OEE to refine investment business cases.
- Oct 10, 2013Stanton McGroarty says real-world fixes you can apply today will pay for themselves and make your plant more sustainable.
- Sep 13, 2013Stanton McGroarty explains how to plan the year and live the plan.
- Aug 6, 2013Stanton McGroarty says continuous improvement is the soul of manufacturing competitiveness.
- Jul 11, 2013Stanton McGroarty explains how to build a real-time dashboard for maintenance and reliability.
- Jun 14, 2013Stanton McGroarty calculates how much work maintenance departments have piled up.
- May 30, 2013Stanton McGroarty says cost management starts with spending control.
- Apr 23, 2013Stanton McGroarty says when unscheduled work creates overtime, production and maintenance disruption follows.
- Apr 4, 2013Stanton McGroarty asks when the schedule tightens, which work gets cut.
- Feb 12, 2013Stanton McGroarty says reactive maintenance destroys OEE, creating a huge competitive disadvantage.
- Jan 16, 2013Stanton McGroarty says keep emergency maintenance work to less than 5%.