element14 and Adafruit partner together for the “Hats Off” challenge
element14 and partner Adafruit’s “Hats Off” global design challenge asks participants to re-imagine the hat into new wearable technology solutions. The technology solution must provide real-world functionality using the Adafruit GEMMA and an accompanying accessory pack.
The Adafruit GEMMA is a tiny Arduino-compatible sewable microcontroller capable of lighting up a constellation of LEDs based on simple sensors and actions. Competitors will be encouraged to develop hat-like garments that provide functionality beyond shielding the wearer from sun or rain.
Along with the Adafruit GEMMA, the competitors in the challenge will be provided with the following:
- Adafruit Micro Lipo - USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1
- Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 500mAh
- Four Flora RGB NeoPixels V2
- Stainless Thin Conductive Thread - 2 ply - 25 meter/85 ft
- Photo cell (CdS photo-resistor)
- Small Alligator Clip Test Lead (set of 12)
- GEMMA miniature wearable electronic platform
- USB cable - A/MiniB - 3ft
- Tactile On/Off Switch with Leads
- Fast Vibration Sensor Switch
- Small Enclosed Piezo w/Wires
The recruitment period will conclude August 4, 2014. 10 competitors will be selected to build their designs and blog at the element14 design community. Competitors will be judged on their creativity, quality of documentation and the execution of their project. The grand prize winner will receive an Oculus Rift from element14 and one complete FLORA Collection parts pack from Adafruit. The competition will conclude October 31, 2014.
For more information on the “Hats Off” design challenge, visit the homepage.