A compressor train can offer some of the highest profit rates of any piece of process equipment. However, it’s also one of the most expensive machines in a chemical plant. So, when planning for a new compressor, it’s worthwhile to adopt several strategies to cut installation cost:
- buy a compressor package to maximize fabrication and set-up work done in the vendor’s shop;
- simplify the package’s transportation and installation;
- opt for modularized components that are easy to change;
- reduce onsite personnel requirements and encourage unmanned operation; and
- eliminate standby compressors to the fullest extent possible.
Estimating the installation cost of the new compressor can be tough. Compressor size and capacity as well as the plant’s nature and location significantly impact the cost. Unfortunately, only limited literature on compressor cost estimation is available. So, here, let’s go over some general pointers.